Melbourne Homes for Sale

More Information

   Community Profiles

Area Information

ELECTRICITY  -  Florida Power & Light Co.   

Florida Power & Light Co. requires a deposit that varies according to a customer's credit rating. An initial service charge is included on the first bill. A certificate of occupancy following an electrical inspection is required for first service for a new home. To receive FPL service, call 723-7795 or visit the website listed above.

GAS  -  Florida City Gas    

Florida City Gas supplies natural gas to most of Brevard. You can start, stop or transfer service by phone or the website address listed above.


TELEPHONE  - Bell South

Contact BellSouth at (888) 757-6500 at any hour to set up service. A deposit amount is determined by the customer's credit report. Customers must give their address, Social Security and driver license numbers.

WATER, SEWER, TRASH - respective city halls
City of Melbourne: 321-608-7100
West Melbourne: 321-727-7700
Titusville: 321-383-5791
Cocoa: 321-433-8400
Palm Bay: 321-952-3420

Utilities charges for sewer, water and deposit rates vary throughout the Brevard County. Deposits are refunded when service is disconnected.

Barefoot Bay residents pay a $40 water deposit and a $60 sewer-service deposit to the Brevard County Water Resources Department. A nonrefundable account setup charge of $15 is required. Call (772) 664-5916.

Melbourne supplies water to its residents and those of Indian Harbour Beach, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour, Beach, Indialantic, Melbourne Village and parts of West Melbourne. The city requires a $43 water deposit and a $77 sewer deposit for mainland residents and customers on city water. Go to Melbourne City Hall, 900 E. Strawbridge Ave. Call 727-2900 or 953-6390. Or visit

In West Melbourne, a $100 deposit is required to establish service and a nonrefundable $10 service fee will be added to your first bill. Billing for trash collection is included in the water-sewer bill. Deposit is refunded when service is disconnected. Go to West Melbourne City Hall, 2285 Minton Road. Call 727-7700 or visit

Titusville residents are charged $40 for water, $60 for sewer service and a $48 deposit for garbage pickup. A $15 nonrefundable administrative fee may apply. After three years of good credit, the deposits are refunded. Go to Titusville City Hall, 555 Washington Ave. Call 383-5791 or visit

Cocoa provides service from Port St. John south to the Pineda Causeway in north Melbourne, and includes residents from Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach. Charges vary. All customers pay a $20 administration fee that shows up on the first bill. Cocoa residents may pay deposits of $50 for sewer plus $40 for water. Customers on septic tanks pay only the $40 water deposit. Go to Cocoa City Hall, 603 Brevard Ave., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Call 433-8400 or visit

Viera/Suntree customers may pay deposits of $60 for county sewer, $40 for city water. Rockledge residents pay a $40 sewage deposit. Cocoa Beach residents pay up to $95 for sewer. Start service online at

Palm Bay provides water and sewer service through its utilities department. Residents pay $40 deposit for water and a non-refundable administrative fee of $15. If sewer service is available in your area, an additional $50 deposit is required for sewer service. After three years of excellent credit, the water and sewer deposits can be refunded. Cash and credit are accepted at City Hall, 120 Malabar Road S.E. Call 952-3420 or visit

Residents in the Mims and Scottsmoor areas, outside Titusville, use county water and sewer service. A $30 deposit is required for water service. A $90 deposit is required for water and sewer service, and a nonrefundable account set-up fee of $15 is required. Go to the Brevard County Utilities Finance Office, 2262 High Drive, Mims. Call 264-5130.


The Florida Bar's Lawyer Referral Service provides a 30-minute office consultation for $25. Call (800) 342-8011.

Brevard County Legal Aid offers free service with family law and other civil legal services. Financial guidelines may apply. Hours are 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. to noon

Several Apply Locations 

New residents must apply for Florida tags and car titles within 10 days after they begin working, apply for a homestead tax exemption or enroll children in school. Proof of Florida insurance is required before tags can be issued. For details, visit and follow the instructions. Tags can be purchased at the following offices:

  • Titusville: North Brevard Service Complex, Old Parkway School, 700 Park Ave. Call 264-5224.
  • Merritt Island: 1450 N. Courtenay Parkway, inside the shopping center. Call 455-1412.
  • Indian Harbour Beach: Indian Harbour Place Shopping Center, 240 E. Eau Gallie Blvd. Call 779-4009.
  • Melbourne: South Brevard Service Complex, 1515 Sarno Road. Call 255-4410.
  • Palm Bay: Interchange Square, 1155 Malabar Road N.E. Call 952-4540.
  • Rockledge: 1840 U.S. 1. Call 633-1897.


Apply Online:  
Titusville:  321-383-2763
Melbourne: 321-984-4933
North Melbourne: 321-752-3162
Merrit Island: 321-449-5003 

A Florida driver license must be obtained within 30 days of gaining employment, establishing residency, claiming a homestead exemption, registering to vote or registering a child at a public school. A replacement license is required at a cost of $10 within 10 days of changing a name or address.

New residents who have a valid out-of-state license will be required to take the vision examination. Prior to receiving a license on any vehicles they own in the state, the vehicles must be registered in Florida and the registration certificate must be presented to the driver license agency.

Vehicles are registered at the Brevard County Tax Collector's Office. For people without a vehicle, their driver license, plus an additional form of identification (Social Security card, military ID card or passport) must be presented. The license costs $20 for six years. Renewals are $15.

To obtain a driver license, all first-time drivers must attend a four-hour substance-abuse course.

Learner's permits are available for 15-year-olds and may be converted at age 16 to regular licenses. Minors must hold the learner's permit for at least one year before converting to a regular license. Holders of learner's permits must log at least 50 hours of driving and be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years old. At least 10 of those hours must be at night. Other restrictions apply to drivers younger than 18. A parent or legal guardian of any minor applicant must sign a parental consent form.

Two forms of legal ID also are required. Applicants must take a written examination and have a vision screening. The only exception to the course and written examination is if the course is taught as part of driver education in high school.

A nondriver identification card can be obtained for those who do not drive and require legal identification. Two legal forms of identification are required to obtain an ID card. Cost is $3 for six years; $2.50 for renewal.

Appointments for driver licenses, driving tests and identification cards may be made by calling 383-2763 in Titusville, 984-4933 in Melbourne, 752-3162 in north Melbourne or 449-5003 on Merritt Island. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, with the exception of Melbourne, which is open Monday through Thursday.


Several Apply Locations

Eligible Florida residents may apply for the year-round homestead exemption of $25,000, plus qualify for an additional $25,000 if their assessed value is greater than $50,000, on or before March 1 of the year they seek the exemption. Applications are taken year-round. Residents 65 or older may be eligible for an additional exemption if their household income is $22,500 or less. Exemptions are also available for widows, widowers, the disabled and veterans. For information, go to

To apply for a homestead exemption, you need the following documents for all owners living on the property: Florida driver license, Florida vehicle registration, Florida voter's registration if you vote and Social Security cards. Visit or apply at:

  • Titusville:  Brevard County Government Center North, 400 South St., fifth floor. Call 264-6700.
  • Merritt Island:  Central Brevard Service Complex, 2575 N. Courtenay Parkway. Call 455-1444.
  • Viera:  Brevard County Government Center, 2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Building C, first floor. Call 690-6880.
  • Melbourne:  South Brevard Service Complex, 1515 Sarno Road, Melbourne. Call 255-4440.

If you purchased a home during 2009, the previous owner's exemption and assessment limitation benefit will remain on the property until December 31, 2009 To receive homestead exemption as the new owner in 2010, you must file an exeption application on or before March 1, 2010.

Homestead exemption does NOT transfer automatically to your new home. Applications can be made in person at any of the branch offices listed below or you can visit the Brevard Property Appraiser website at for instructions on how to file by mail.

In most instances, any change in the title of the property will require a new application be filed with the Property Appraiser.

To qualify for property exemption, you must own and establish you permanent residence on the property on or before January 1, 2010.

If the property has more than one owner, but not all owners qualify for homestead exemption, then there may be only partial homestead benefits granted.

In addition to homestead exemption there are other avaible exemptions than include widow, widower, disability and an additional exemption for low income seniors who are 65 and older.


Human Services Department
Parks & Recreation Department
Office of Tourism
Supervisor of Elections
Growth Management Department

Cocoa Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
Melbourne-Palm Bay Area Chamber of Commerce
Palm Bay Chamber of Commerce
Titusville Chamber of Commerce
(321) 633-2007
(321) 633-2046
(321) 633-2110
(321) 633-2124
(321) 633-2066
(321) 459-2200
(321) 724-5400
(321) 951-9998
(321) 267-3036